Food For Focus
Today we can travel with the “astringent” taste which can be very helpful on these hot summer days. With properties in Ayurveda such as cooling, drying, and assisting lymphatic flow,the astringent taste is beneficial in this hot season of “Pitta”.
Here are some examples to include in your meals or take along during the day:
Pomegranate juice- The pure kind can be purchased at health food stores. The seeds from the fruit although sour to the tongue have a post digestive astringent benefit.
Beans- particularly lentils ( see recipe below for vegan lentil burger)
Aloe Vera Juice- good for digestion( constipation), inflammation and arthritis
Got the recipe from theveggietable.com
- 1cup dry lentils, well rinsed (If soaked ahead of time then less cooking time)- I soak for one hour with boiling water
- 2 1⁄2cups water
- 1⁄2teaspoon salt
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2medium onion, diced
- 1carrot, diced
- 1teaspoon pepper
- 1tablespoon soy sauce or braggs liquid aminos
- 3⁄4cup rolled oats, finely ground
- 3⁄4cup breadcrumbs
- Boil lentils in the water with the salt for around 45 minutes. Lentils will be soft and most of the water will be gone.
- Fry the onions and carrot in the oil until soft, it will take about 5 minutes.
- In a bowl mix the cooked ingredients with the pepper, soy sauce, oats and bread cumbs.
- While still warm form the mixture into patties, it will make 8-10 burgers.
- Burgers can then be shallow fried for 1-2 minutes on each side or baked at 200C for 15 minutes
I will be making these tonight for dinner! Join me in spirit!
with warm regards,
Naturopath-Ayurvedic Health Specialist