Welcome to my weekly blog!
How would you like a food that can reduce inflammation, relieve constipation, is low in cholesterol, provide B vitamins( reduce stress and which most women I see are deficient in),provide minerals such as magnesium, zinc, copper, be high in protein, AND contain the anti-aging properties that stimulate the skin to produce, collagen, hyaluronic acid and elastin? Not done yet.. AND provide living enzymes ( which you won’t get from frozen, leftover or microwaved food) , be easily digested and easy to make?
Are you in? I’m so intrigued that we can receive all this from one food.. nature is so abundant!
The food is green mung beans;it’s tridoshic; meaning in Ayurveda good for all!. You’ve heard me and other “Ayurvedi’s” speak about making kitchari which uses Yellow split mung beans.
These are the green ones and the best way they serve to give you the live enzymes is if you soak them in water a few times. meaning soak a cup overnight then do it again til they SPROUT.. then cook them. You might have to do it for three days. Just leave it on your counter and change the water every day. ( kids love this)
Green mung beans also cleanse the body of toxins and can be used as a weight loss cleanse for a couple of days.
Consuming Green Mung Beans has Been Studied to Treat the Following Medical Conditions:
•Celiac Disease/Gluten Free Diets
Here’s a recipe from http://www.dailyayurveda.com/green-mung-bean-soup.html
1. Soak the mung beans overnight in water.
2. Finely chop ginger and garlic.
3. Drain the mung beans, rinse them and put them in pot with 3 1/2 cups of water.
4. Add salt and turmeric and bring to a boil.
5. Cook Mung beans fully stirring occasionally. (they are not fully cooked until they are breaking apart. Will take approx. 45 min unless you use a pressure cooker in which case it will only take about 20 minutes)
6. Heat ghee in a separate pan. mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Wait until you hear the cumin seeds pop. Then add garlic and ginger and let simmer for a few minutes until garlic becomes golden brown.
7. Add ghee mixture to cooked mung beans and stir.
8. You can add greens like kale or spinach to this for some added texture.
9. Enjoy 🙂
You can cook the beans ahead of time before work in the morning then add the spices and veggies later on to finish.
Reminder; if you do one thing for yourself daily, meditate or simply sit in silence as there you will find your way.
No classes scheduled for the summer due to everyone’s different family and travel schedules.
I will be busy writing a few articles and finishing my book this summer. I will post them as they appear.
Please “like” on facebook and share with friends and family. In this way you make living with awareness and self care available to others… https://www.facebook.com/GedaliaHealingArts
Ayurvedic Health Specialist