It’s the little things you do every day that makes a difference over time. Isn’t it true in a relationship that when a partner, mother, friend are consistently thoughtful and caring you feel their loving presence in your life? In the same way, as you tend your own garden of health every day, tilling the soil, giving it water, the sunshine, vibrant food, and soulful acts of joy little by little you reap those benefits and you feel them throughout your whole being.
Ayurveda is all about daily, and seasonal rhythms mirroring nature in every way. From the foods we eat to the herbs we ingest to the oils we inhale there is a season for everything. And in following the seasons with our health rituals we reap the benefits over time of what we sowed. I certainly don’t believe Ayurveda is the end all but it sure is great to utilize some of its most precious gems. I can attest to that after celebrating my 62nd birthday this past August. Although I am certainly not free from experiencing grief, loss, and stress it’s ultimately how I approach it that makes all the difference. I am free of dependence on medications ( which I never was) and free to fully express who I am in this lifetime. I find as I nurture my well being daily body, mind, and spirit and rest into my own well-being things on the outside reflect that vibe both from people, circumstances, and abundance.It all starts from within. You are worthy of your own self-care and love! It will pay off later on too.
The qualities of Fall are dry, light, airy which provoke the same qualities in the body- dry skin, insomnia, and constipation if we don’t adhere to seasonal rituals. It is also a time of letting go, and non-attachment in nature as the leaves fall from the trees- a perfect time in Ayurveda to do some cleansing. For ex. Kitchari cleanse or Panchkarma- a five therapy cleanse done at an Ayurvedic Retreat such as The Ayurvedic Institute Albuquerque, The Raj- Ohio, Canyon Ranch- Arizona, Calif- Kripalu- Boston- The Art of Living- Boone, North Carolina. All these places are reputable and qualified to offer a full Ayurvedic cleanse.
Here are three simple tips to maintain balance daily for the fall season:
1. Begin to add small amounts of ghee to your food to avoid dryness ( constipation).
2. Drink ample amounts of water each day. Two glasses between meals is a good practice. Add a pinch of pink salt to the water for minerals. Preferably warm or room temp water with no ice.
3. Aim to eat warm cooked food with spices such as turmeric, cumin, coriander, fennel, ginger to aid digestion. These warming spices kindle digestive fire as well as provide anti-inflammatory substances. Avoid skipping meals and eating on the run or in the car. Sitting down to a wholesome bite of food tells your body and soul you are nurturing yourself.. It is not more important to get to the decorator, or get your errands done before you take care of yourself- by making yourself a priority other things will get done with more ease.
4. Oil the bottom of the feet before bed – use sesame, or Vata oil by Banyan or Bringaraj by Banyan- this practice will calm and soothe your nerves and aid in falling asleep. You can also oil the scalp as well when you plan on washing your hair the next day.
Read my recent article published in the Jewish Times for soul inspiration. Click http://atlantajewishtimes.timesofisrael.com/finding-the-healing-in-painting-singing-dancing/” target=”_blank” style=”mso-line-height-rule: exactly;-ms-text-size-adjust: 100%;-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;color: #00ADD8;font-weight: normal;text-decoration: underline;”>Here
I love a good glass of red wine however like many, struggle with the after effects of the sulfites and yeasts the next day. Sound familiar? Thanks to our eldest son Zack we discovered organic and biodynamic wine this past summer. I’m not a connoisseur but here’s the lo down of what I’ve learned:
1. Look for wine with a USDA seal which means no sulfites may be added. Naturally occurring sulfites are present however in natural wines that are not the chemical SO2- sulfur dioxide as it is the natural part of fermentation. The label ” made with organic grapes” does NOT mean they have not added sulfites just as the word “natural’ food doesn’t denote its purity. The added sulfites are the main cause of hangovers.
2.Organic wines have been found to have significantly higher levels of polyphenols, flavonoids( antioxidants from plants) and the antioxidant resveratrol that you get from the grape skins. Resveratrol in red wine has been found to protect against cancer, heart disease and extend life in certain studies.
3. Because the wine has no preservatives it doesn’t last as long as regular wine so you have to drink the bottle at once- in other words, save for dinner party or with a few friends over.
Where do you find a good selection of this kind of wine? www.perrineswine.com This shop is located on the West Side of town. The shop owner is very knowledgeable and has a great selection. I did also stop by the wine shop on Dresden Drive and he also had a few to select from but I really enjoyed my experience on the west side. There is also a honey bee shop next door and a beautiful French flower shop – all makes for a nice outing.
Using a foam roller before bed or first thing in the morning is a great way to relieve tight muscles in your back whether you sit for a job, drive the kids around a lot or work with your body. Simply lie on your back and let it roll. Chiropractors recommend doing this as well as energy healers as it loosens stuck energy along the spine. Try it you may like it. Amazon has a great selection.
New Service Begins Sept 15th at the Spa
I will be offering only ONE service beginning Sept 15th at the Centre Spring Spa- Tuesdays and Saturday like always.
ONE HOUR of time doing Marma, assessment, Ayurveda or whatever you need in that time.
Energy medicine is a valuable practice on your wellness path. Read my testimonials at www.gedaliahealingarts.com The subtle and powerful shifts that take place are lasting and uplifting.At least once a month is a good gauge.
I am discontinuing packages due to confusion about expiration time. Existing packages will be honored three months from when purchased (same policy).
You may wish to buy a package before SEPT 15th but those sessions will be 50 minutes as exists now.
It’s exciting to know that Atlanta is getting on board with Ayurveda! And YOU have been the first here to experience it! Thank you for all your support these past few years! Simply Buckhead magazine writer Alexa Lampasona wrote the following article about Holiday Stress after her recent Marma session. I’m sharing the link with…
Five Ways to Approach Food in Ayurveda What makes an Ayurvedic diet different from other diets? After all, Ayurveda originated five thousand years ago so it’s definitely not a fad; here today gone tomorrow approach. We are all familiar with some of those and perhaps have tried a few over the years.Ayurveda’s approach is consistent…
Hot “ON” the Press! New Book release coming for the holidays with great joy! Available soon on Amazon. Enough Drugs I am a Woman and Can Heal Naturally- a practical guide to feeling your best. ” Our symptoms are our body’s way of speaking to us and are a wake-up call to change our behavior,…
Dear friends, Welcome to my weekly blog! In Ayurveda, depression is not an isolated psychological phenomenon. Ayurveda looks at the whole person when addressing symptoms. The same headache in one person might require a different remedy in another depending on their lifestyle and overall health. A person with digestive issues might be having relationship anxiety in…
Since my purpose is to talk about moving toward a more “wholesome” understanding of health, let’s look at the ‘chakras”.In other words ‘wheels of light”. This not woowoo stuff we are talking about here but the ‘electromagnetic field” that is generated by these spinning chakras more related to science than i can possibly describe in…
This blog will talk about ‘health’ from a wholesome perspective coming from the inside out not the outside in. It will include understanding of the chakras and how they relate to the entire system… the endocrine system ( hormonally), the nervous sytem and the brain. It will offer an authentic way to explore your health…